'Taking minutes at disciplinary meetings'

Taking minutes at disciplinary meetings

Didn't find your answer?

I would like to know whether there are particular procedures or special rules to be observed in the taking of minutes at disciplinary meetings, please.
Christine Williams

Replies (9)

By peterstanway
26th Aug 2004 12:29

Christine

There are no special rules
my advice is to get someone to do it as it is difficult to conduct and minute take
I also advise you to call them notes, minutes implies that you have covered everything

Peter Stanway

By User deleted
26th Aug 2004 13:19

The notes mainly exist for your protection to provide evidence of a fair and legal proceeding. However, a good way to cover this without taking copious notes throughout is to give the manager, staff member and any representative a "script" of what the form of the meeting will be and the key discussion items that will be covered. I use these one page scripts alot to save time and worry in taking huge amounts of notes particualrly when the set-up of each proceeding should be the same.. If you cannot get someone to take notes for you then the notes I then take refer to responses and reasoning from both sides as to the disciplinary items being discussed and of course the decision /consequences..

I canot tell you what a timesaver this is! A script also ensures that you are reminded of all the key points to follow thoughout the meeting such as a proper ajournment, rationale of a decision, how long a warning is on file, right to appeal etc etc. Would be happy to share my example "scripts" with anyone who is interested!

Replying to User deleted:
By EllesmereAg
29th Jul 2015 02:13

Hi there - I would be very interested in receiving your sample scripts please. Thank you.

By User deleted
27th Aug 2004 00:06

To Marie Martin and Peter Stanway:

I appreciated your prompt responses, and your observations and suggestions were very useful. Thank you, both of you.

Christine Williams

By User deleted
02nd Sep 2004 17:14

Dear Ms Martin
I was very grateful for your prompt and comprehensive reply to my enquiry about taking notes at disciplinary meetings. In your answer you offered sight of the scripts you recommend for use at such meetings.
If possible, I would appreciate a copy of such a script. Thank you very much.
Christine Williams.

By User deleted
06th Sep 2004 15:06

We ask our employees if we can tape the meeting so that we have an accurate record of the meeting. We then use that to minute the meeting.

Our employees have welcomed this as they can check the minutes against the tape if they have any queries.

By User deleted
06th Sep 2004 17:41

Dear Mr Iain Young,

Thanks too for your useful suggestion about the possibility of taping disciplinary meetings to avoid later dispute as to what happened. I can't really imagine any participant objecting, so it makes absolute sense!
Thanks again

Christine Williams

By Sally Butler
22nd Jan 2014 10:34

Dear Anonymous

I would very much like a copy of your "Scripts" to take into a disciplinary meeting please?

I am currently writing a course for a construction organisation on taking notes in meetings and they wanted to see how a formal disciplinary meeting would be recorded.

thanks