rhaake
HR Advisor
ACC Liverpool
Blogger
5369

Reimbursement for employee Eye Tests/Glasses/Safety Glasses

Reimbursement for employee Eye TestsGlassesSa...

I work for the Fire Brigade and am writing a policy on reimbursing employees for sight tests, safety glasses and glasses. I am interested in what policies organisations have on this and what the maximum allowable / claimable spend on glasses is.
rachel haake

Replies

By rhaake
23rd Jun 2006 14:58

Thanks for your help. I have made significant progress with this. I just need to bottom out the amount of brigade reimbursement. £50 sounds reasonable for standard glasses.

By Anonymous
23rd Jun 2006 12:18

Further to my comment about tax liabilities in repaying of eye test. I have been advised by Lesley Fidler from Baker Tilly that the rules changed in the last budget.

22nd Jun 2006 16:15

We've done a deal with specsavers, they offer an eye test at reduced rate and then a pair of glasses in exchange for a voucher (basic frames and lenses) which the employee can top up if they want to.

It's cheap for us and fair to the employee and the organisation.

And that way we don't get into arguments regarding cost etc.

By Anonymous
22nd Jun 2006 16:26

In my last company we gave vouchers for eye tests to be used at any opticians and a voucher for £50 towards glasses.

This was for VDU users only.

Safety glasses were purchased as required again normally within the £50 limit.

Warning with eye tests.

Do not allow staff to pay for the tests and then reclaim the money through expenses this makes the payment a taxable benefit and should therefore be listed on your P11d return

By kluxon
23rd Jun 2006 22:12

I would echo Niks comments on Specsavers. They have a great corporate scheme. No hassle, its fair, cheap and takes all the arguing out of providing the nessesary level of benefit (and no I am not on commission).

Strongly advise having a look.

keith

By Anonymous
26th Jun 2006 11:42

These guys are fairly new but I have heard excellent reviews regarding their services

By Anonymous
29th Jun 2006 11:19

I agree with previous comments ref Specsavers.
We have a standing arrangement for our staff to attend for tests etc, with a letter of introduction.
The Optomotrist then notes on the letter if glasses or prescription change is indicated (for DSE equipment use, or other work related issues). Staff then are given a fixed allowance/conrtibution towards reglazing, replacement, and or frames where appropriate.

Some staff opt to go elsewhere with their prescription, in which case we will rebate as expenses only the amount that we would have paid to the local spec savers. We also monitor number of tests requested by individual, to see if there are any trends associated with particular work environments, or possible medical/optical issues with individual members of staff

16th Aug 2012 08:36

In this you have shared very deep point to take eye test for employee, This is very healthy point to analysis more about that. Regards,
Eye Supplements, Macushield