admin
Blogger
3698

Are Cipd national exams harder ?

Are Cipd national exams harder

I am about to start my PG diploma in HRM in order to gain graduate membership of the CIPD. I have heard that the cipd national exams are harder and more difficult to pass than internal university exams.
I would appreciate your opinions on this.
Victoria MacGillivray

Replies

By Anonymous
22nd Jun 2006 17:32

Could you advise me of your opinions on universities/colleges in the Glasgow area which run the PG diploma in HRM ?

By Anonymous
22nd Jun 2006 17:33

Please could you provide me with your opinions on universities and colleges in Glasgow which run the PG Diploma in HRM?

By Anonymous
23rd Jun 2006 11:46

I found that Malpas Flexible Learning, now part of BPP, used a lot of course work in its assessments and it examined what it had taught, so it was not a question of facing random questions from an enormous syllabus. I do not know whether it was easier, but I felt it was fairer as there was no element of luck in question spotting and one had to demonstrate application over a range of assignments during the course.

I chose Malpas because a)distance learning suited me - and seemed to require less time, b)my 'local'university was not very local and the thought of 2pm - 9pm attendance every week was daunting, c) the university could not tell me the dates of its terms whereas Malpas set out exactly which days attendance was required and when asignments were due so I could arrange my study round work and my family (or vice versa).

By Anonymous
22nd Jun 2006 13:47

I have had experience of both CIPD exams and university set exams, the main difference I found was in the teaching quality, university was better (in this case) than at my local college. As the exams are written by the individual university they can differ a lot, have a look at what form they will take to see if they are different to the CIPD set exams. I was lucky just to answer one case study question for my final module, if I had sat the CIPD exam it was 7 out of 10 short questions plus a case study. It is very dependent upon what type of exams questions you do best in. You will need to do a bit of research about formats. I hope this helps.

22nd Jun 2006 16:10

Victoria, as you say, CIPD exams could be described as 'more difficult to pass' but only because the subject areas that the exams are taken from can be so broad-so you need to know your stuff, which isn't actually a bad thing! The teaching support can vary from one learning institution to another, so check out their QCA scores. Universities have recognised this though and those that are accredited to deliver CIPD programmes that are internally verified can offer the Graduate CIPD status but the addition of the PG Dip HRM/D. So essentially, you get more bang for your buck! Good luck with your choice of study!

27th Jun 2006 09:51

Hi Victoria

Having had experience of both university set and the CIPD national exams my own view would be that the latter was slightly more difficult than the former.

As previous contributors have pointed out it is impossible to concentrate on set areas for the national exams as the questions could come from any area of the syllabus. From my experience, and that of my peers, you often tend to get a nudge in the right direction from lecturers as to what topics to look at for university set exams.

As an aside my college colleagues and I felt that the marking for the national exams became 'harsher' throughout the duration of our course and that sometimes it was difficult, even after official CIPD feedback, to determine why you had failed a particular question.

As to providers in the Glasgow area I have heard from colleagues and friends that the course at Caledonian has overtaken the course at Strathclyde in terms of both popularity and relevant content. I studied for my qualification at Falkirk College which on the whole was a positive experience although the standard of lecturing staff did on occasion leave a lot to be desired.

Hope this has been useful to you and good luck with your studies.

27th Jun 2006 10:07

Hi Victoria
I completed the PgDip in HRM at Glasgow Caledonian University last year and the course was excellent. For full time students the uni invests in obtaining work placments for students and also sends them to the CIPD annual conferences. Full time and part time students are mixed for some classes so that the full time can learn from the experience of the part time students and so that the part time students can get help with course work, essay writing etc from the full time students.

The lecturing staff are very friendly and supportive and have strong links with people who work for the CIPD.

There is a lot if snobbery around the CIPD course in Glasgow and Strathclyde people tend to look down their nose at you if you have studied at Glasgow Caledonian. However, I qualified in July last year and 2 months later secured my first every HR job at HR Adviser level.

You should contact Glasgow Caledonian University if you are considering it as I am sure they will be more than happy for you to go in for a visit and meet some of the lecturers and students.

Good luck!

27th Jun 2006 12:38

Hi Victoria

I also attended Glasgow Caledonian in 2001 and found the course material and tutors excellent. I think that it is fair to say that both Caledonian and Strathclyde offer excellent courses in HRM as I know people who have undertaken the CIPD in both. The benefit of the GCAL course for full time students is that much of the hassle in securing a placement is taken away - although this may have changed since my day.

I hope this helps and Good Luck!

Emma